Weekly Feature



2017-02-08 / Editorial

Out of the Past


BACK WHEN IT WAS A CHURCH — St. Peter’s German Evangelical Church was built on Knoche Road in 1849, and when the congregation disbanded, the building was turned over to the Town of Tonawanda. After a 1976 rehabilitation, it became the site of a museum. This pastoral photo is from 1957. 
From the collection of the Tonawanda-Kenmore Historical Society BACK WHEN IT WAS A CHURCH — St. Peter’s German Evangelical Church was built on Knoche Road in 1849, and when the congregation disbanded, the building was turned over to the Town of Tonawanda. After a 1976 rehabilitation, it became the site of a museum. This pastoral photo is from 1957. From the collection of the Tonawanda-Kenmore Historical Society 24 Years Ago Feb. 12, 1992

Members of the parish at St. Christopher’s Church in the Town of Tonawanda are known far and wide for their generosity. The story of how parishioners on both the Tonawanda and Amherst sides of Niagara Falls Boulevard gave to rebuild the church, which had been burned to the ground in an as-yet unsolved arson, is well-documented. There have been many times since then where the people at St. Chris’ have donated money and time to important causes. Two families in the parish are hoping that spirit of giving will come through once again from 1-7 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 23, when the parish hosts the “Helping Hands, Helping Hearts” benefit spaghetti dinner to help defray medical costs for the Roz Brill and Baby Jordan funds.

The basketball team at St. Joseph’s Collegiate Institute had been next to unbeatable for three years now, as evidenced by Friday night’s thrilling come-from-behind victory. But Saturday night, some St. Joe’s players a few years past their varsity eligibility years show that there is a vulnerable link in the school’s roundball tradition. The Marauders alumni teams lost two games to their counterparts from Bishop Timon in the seventh annual alumni basketball tournament.

New firematic and executive officers were sworn in for the Brighton Volunteer Fire Company at the Town of Tonawanda department’s 62nd annual installation dinner, held recently at the Hearthstone Manor in Depew.

Return to top